Saturday, July 4, 2009

Saturday's Featured Artist: Uncorked

Happy Independence Day! Today, I'm very excited to present to you my Saturday's Featured Artist, whose beautiful and unusual work is incredibly inspiring. Let's meet Cat of Uncorked. Cat is from New Jersey. Her shop joined Etsy in October 20, 2007 and has 1,588 Sales.





















Here's our short and sweet interview with Cat from Uncorked. Be inspired!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

#1. Describe yourself in 5 words.

She can't throw anything away. (I have nightmares about my things decomposing for decades in garbage dumps-ugh!)

#2. What goodies do you offer in your shop?

I have 2 shops on Etsy- Uncorked and Polarity. Uncorked sells sustainable cork jewelry and housewares and Polarity sells recycled magnetic jewelry and housewares.

#3. How was your shop started?

My Uncorked line started as a way to keep young girls interested in math and science. I had heard about Etsy from my niece who has a shop called ButtonEnvy and loved it at first sight.

#4. What are some unique things about your shop?

I try to offer unique items with green, industrial materials in both my shops. I am not a jeweler by any stretch of the imagination! I have always looked at things with an eye toward their alternate uses. I have alot of things in my house that have been repurposed into other things and try to bring that same spirit into my shops.

#5. What or who inspires you?

I am inspired by trips to the city, crowds, museums (I am a science nut), junkyards, junk piles (ie trash) and time spent alone.




















#6. What is the item in your shop you enjoyed making the most and why?

Definitely soldering my lockets because it is such a calming, centering activity- which is something that does not come easily to me. I tend to naturally be all over the place and it really forces me to focus.

#7. What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

I would say to be true to yourself and produce unique work. Use the best camera you can get your hands on and really work on your pictures. Make sure your product is top-notch; just because you can make something doesn't mean you can sell it. Also, realize Etsy will likely be just one avenue for your business. You will probably need to do shows and use advertising, blogs and social networking to grow your business.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Beside her wonderful shop , Cat also has a blog (www.olivebites.blogspot.com) where you can get to know her and her work better. So, don't hesitate to drop by and say "Hi"!

That's all for today's Featured Artist. Your Comment and Feedback are much appreciated! Next week's Saturday, we'll meet Barb Sasaki from Hawaii and her wonderful handbag shop, SasakiCreations. See you next week!
























___________________________________________________________________

For more information on "Saturday's Featured Artist" and "Wednesday's Hidden Gem", click here!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment