Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Contentment...

... be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.”
(Hebrews 13:5)

















("Contentment", original painting by StudioJJARTWORKS)

Today is not necessarily an easy day for many of us, and we vent our discontentment in many ways. Recently, I'm praying about confronting a dear friend of mine for constantly putting others down with criticism, which does not say so much about those people are but more about how unhappy/discontent he is with his life... Suddenly, it dawns to me that his and my inability to be content with our circumstances actually hurt us so much more than others, and we are unknowingly pushing joy (and other people) away by refusing to rest and be content.

Contentment is indeed a choice, not just a feeling. Just like love.... Yet, it is definitely not an easy thing to do... So, in case it's getting too hard to be content, God, in his infinite wisdom and love, comes in the picture to give us the most logical reason and the only encouragement we need in order to be content, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Nope, my life is still no where near perfect, but I guess I can truly rest now in this great promise... If the God of the universe is on my side, why am I complaining and refusing to let go of my frustration with life and "let God be God"?

This familiar little verse has been a huge encouragement for me today, and I hope it will give you hope as well. How about you? Are you embracing this promise for yourself today? Let's rejoice in our Lord...
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment